Monday 10 September 2012

Our Local Celebrity :)

So normally this blog discusses issues relating to deafness etc, has a good moan and chats about how much I love decorating my hearing aids.
But I thought for a change I would introduce you to an inspirational deaf friend of mine.

15 year old Tilly was diagnosed as deaf when she was a baby and has overcame many barriers to gain a place at Chethams School of Music in Manchester where she is a boarder. (I should add that there are other deaf students at Chethams!)

This year she auditioned for, and was picked to be, a part of the Paralympic Paraorchestra! An amazing opportunity to play alongside other disabled musicians as well as Cold Play!

She also got a chance to show off her blue ear gear and hearing aids to a national audience... A great way to raise deaf-awareness! 





Tilly, who plays the viola amongst other instruments, told me "it was an amazing and unforgettable experience, I love the orchestra and will be continuing with them and it was inspirational. Just a very emotional night!"

Serious kudos to Tilly for being an amazing role model to other deaf young people wanting to learn to play an instrument. A great example of how being deaf should never hold you back and that you should always reach for your dreams!

Well done Tilly, we're all very proud of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment